Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Movies and My Social Security Still Doesn't Seem So Secure

Today - The Island and Murderball

The Island - I don't want to reveal too much about the movie - but it definitely has a twist. The first half I thought was awesome and the second half is pretty good. I guess the first half is more about the storytelling and the second half - all action.

Here is what you won't find on IMDB trivia as of today. Steve Buscemi, who is awesome as always, plays a relatively minor role. This isn't giving away much, but I noticed the woman that plays his wife, looked really, really familiar. Then I figured out that she like the woman that his character is trying to convince her new wedding ring's diamond was not actually a diamond. Turns out to be the same actress, Shawnee Smith.

Here's some shots of Armageddon - it was hard to get them both in frame since both scenes are really short, but you get the idea. She was the woman in the bar in Armageddon that he is trying to pick up before the FBI bring him to NASA.











And here's the Island - I tried to call the main characters as well in frame for the shot so these wouldn't all seem so separate.



















Somehow this gives me some continuity. I'm thinking that Michael Bay (director of both movies) just like the actors a lot and had to put them back together. I wonder if anyone else noticed this? It just somehow makes it more believeable for them to be together in this.

Overall - The Island was a good, but not an amazing film. Still very good. It makes me want to go to the Island. :)

Murderball is one of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time. From imdb: (Murderball is) A film about quadriplegics who play full-contact rugby in Mad Max-style wheelchairs - overcoming unimaginable obstacles to compete in the Paralympic Games in Athens, Greece

I couldn't describe it much better than that, but it really is so much more. I learned a lot about quadriplegics and what they have to go through - and I'd like to say got a hope as to how many of them feel. All of them had such excellent stories. I recommend fully.

In my real life - I finally have my NC Driver's License with an awful picture that I have to live with until 9/8/2013. And when I pushed about my SSN problem, they had me call the main DMV headquarters in Raleigh. They told me all they can do is put a note on their license that they have to show proof of SSN next time they renew.

I'm so glad I have my middle name on my Driver's License now. Totally worth the extra trip.

I'm going to call the local Social Security office and see what can be done.

NEW IPOD TOMORROW! :)

1 comment:

belle said...

I have no idea what The Island is about, but in my mind I think of The Island from the Simpsons when Homer gets sent to the Island and is drugged constantly. The ice cream drops from above and it's full of needles and pills, etc.
I've been thinking about that episode a lot because we had to give Deacon antibiotics for his cut. To give them to him I wrap it in cheese, so I feel like I'm drugging him.

Exit: koala bear in mask emitting gas to knock you out